Tuesday, December 31, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: ROCK CHICK (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley

Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1)Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ramblings. Yes, I'm still in my "prolonging The Redemption of Callie & Kayden" phase. It's such a good day today and it'll be such a waste for my mood and energy to just be sucked right into the depressing and sad story of that book. That's why I decided to read this one. The summary of this book got my attention starting from: "Indy Savage, cop's daughter, rock chick and used bookstore owner, has been in love with Lee Nightingale, once bad boy, now the man behind Nightingale Investigations, since she was five years old." Yep, pretty much the start of its blurb.

Immediate thought after reading this book. Is it just me or this book is really loooooooong? Rock Chick was definitely a very long roller coaster ride (I may or may not have this urge to get off the ride already in some parts of it).

My thoughts. Kristen Ashley without a doubt truly has a way with words and totally gets playful with it. She knows that she has it and she uses it in full power. Even if the situations thrown upon the characters were scary and could certainly give readers shivers and goosebumps, she uses words to diffuse those feelings and manages to crack smiles on readers’ faces. I totally enjoyed that she could do that, even highlighted/bookmarked a number of scenes where it made me cackle BUT then I find the whole book quite wordy. I don't know about you but I get the "wordy feel" when the character's thoughts gets jumbled and tangled. Then it ends up or comes out in a variety of phrasings.

Towards the end part of the book, it feels like it’s quite dragging already. One hurdle after another and another, gets old already by the time it hits the last page of the book. The author could've lessened the number of curveball these characters experienced in the story and should've given more focus unto my next thought which is ...

I could’ve like this a whole lot better and even given it 5 stars if they got together months/weeks after they have rekindled their friendship and all. Some of you may be disagreeing with my sentiment and may even be saying that they’ve waited years already for a THEM to happen. Yes, they may have the hots and fell in love with each other years before the present time but for a decade they haven’t been interacting well with each other… I can say that ten years is a long time and some things about them are bound to change in the years in between. I think, TIME is needed in that kind of situation.

Though, I found it very heart-warming that they ended up with each other. Thinking of Iittle Indy having a crush on the young boy Lee and looking at them now in this book ... feels like a fairytale.

All in all, I still enjoyed reading this book. If you want to laugh while reading tense action packed scenes, then this book's the one for you.

Bye x

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll