Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: THESE BROKEN STARS by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ramblings. This book has been sitting in my to read list and e-book reader since December and now I'm mentally cursing myself for NOT reading it last year! My 2013 could’ve ended with a blast because of this totally unique and amazing book!

Immediate thought after reading this book. WOW. Yes, just wow. I think, These Broken Stars is the first book that I’ve read since November 2013 coming from this genre and it obviously didn’t disappoint me. I hope this enthusiasm that I felt while reading this book will carry on and eventually lead me on into concentrating on the YA books on my to read list. Help me bring back my YA feels, please!

My thoughts. If you didn’t know that this book was written by two authors, I tell you that it wouldn’t even cross your mind once you start reading this. Everything in the book was just woven seamlessly. I can say, that this is really a beautifully and well-written book with an utterly unique concept. This book offers a complete package of Action, Suspense (thrill for that unknown matter) and Romance. Reading this book was definitely a very cool experience for me. Every chapter just resonates the various elements included in this book and fully evokes the different emotions within us, readers.

When I started reading the first few pages of this book, I admit it that I wasn’t able to immediately grasp on the imagery and setting of the story. I don’t know about you but everything in the beginning seems to be all so sudden. I didn’t feel being little by little eased in into the world of the story. I seriously don’t have a clue as to what they’re really talking about. Not to worry though, because everything will just make you curious and will keep you from turning page after page of the book. Uhh but it could’ve been better if the authors included a smidge of background or something about the hyperspace and how that world came up to be.

These Broken Stars is mainly about Lilac and Tarver venturing and trying to survive in an unknown planet after the Icarus, the luxury spaceliner they were in, suffered from a major hyperspace catastrophe. That scene where the Icarus went crazy and crash landing, it certainly reminded me of the Titanic but it’s the end of that similarity.

The story is told from the dual POVs of Lilac and Tarver, with both characters having such distinct voices. I didn’t have to deal with that problem of questioning as to who’s narrating the story. The dual POVs really worked well with not only in relaying to us the whole post-Icarus experience but it really aids the readers in getting to know both of their characters. And yes, you’ll be able to really get to know them and later on feel for them. Feel their happiness, fear and sadness.

With their characters coming from two different backgrounds (- of Lilac being the daughter of the richest man in the universe and Tarver being the war hero, who pretty much did everything he can to be able to get to where he is now), we are treated with a front row seat on how their relationship blossomed. Their relationship is probably the highlight of this book. Considering the difference in their upbringing and personality, it makes their survival story much entertaining. It feels like survival in two aspects: surviving in that planet and surviving in each other’s company.

Lilac’s character may seem to be annoying at first with her decisions and how she deals with stuff but she redeems herself as the story progresses. We eventually know the back story of why she was like that and hands down to her character for being really valuable in their quest to send a distress signal to the authorities. She isn’t just a girl who loves fancy dresses and parties but she’s actually a very knowledgeable young lady.

As for Tarver, we see his character as a strong man whose mind can work and think of tactics for a way out in certain tricky circumstances in life but we also see the softness in him in this book. We see his love of poetry and definitely for his family. Tarver’s a verrrrrry swoon-worthy character, in words and in action. I love those scenes where he puts his hand on Lilac’s shoulder and it just feels normal for him to do it. Ehh and many more scenes. Swoon.

Warning. It’s not all about rainbows and unicorns in the romance element of this book. It’s for you to find out, though.

If you thought and guessed what the flow of the story will be, then I tell you … you may want to scratch that right now. THAT UNKNOWN PLANET IS JUST AMAZING! I thought it was probably just infested with aliens and creepy creatures … but not that one used in this story. It was definitely a very unique one! And oh, I forgot to mention this but there's also a paranormal-ish kind of element in here. It surely gave me goosebumps when we first come across that eerie stuff and thought that Lilac pretty much hit her head very hard. But all is well, guys. There's a big reason behind that one.

The curveballs that the authors pulled were just downright UNPREDICTABLE. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. These twists and turns towards the end part of the book may or may not have brought me to tears. Seriously. I didn’t saw those stuff coming my way. I was really questioning myself if that SPECIFIC scene really did happen while I was bawling my eyes out. My heart wasn’t prepared for those heart-breaking/warming scenes.

So if you enjoy reading books having a cool plot with a survival-based theme in it, thrilling adventure and a dose of romance, then I definitely recommend this book for you to pick up!

I’m really excited to read the next novel from this series and I’m hoping that it’ll be as awesome as this one.

Bye x

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll