Monday, November 3, 2014

BOOK REVIEWS | SNAPPED (#1) and SHADE (#2) by Ketley Allison

For the past few weeks, I’ve been really busy with real life that most of the blog posts that appear in my blog are actually scheduled posts. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I get to do a bit more reading and blogging these coming weeks. I need to tear down my ever growing to read (and review) list, especially with the young adult titles. However, today I’m going to be blogging and reviewing two ARCs that were sent to me a month ago. 

Thank you so much, Ms. Ketley Allison for sending in a review request over my email and giving me ARCs of the first two parts of The Snapped Series: Snapped and Shade. I really enjoyed reading both books and I'm patiently waiting for the third installment to be out already! I'm so stoked about it!



Title: SNAPPED (The Snapped Series, Part 1)
Author: Ketley Allison 
Publication Date: November 1, 2014

SYNOPSIS


This series contains feelings after sex, good girls staying good (unless they don’t want to), good boys turning bad, great friends flipping sides, close lovers falling backwards, sassy mouths, stubborn jackasses, and a fight for the one, all in the name of f*cked up love.

But whose love is twisted?

In nine weeks Charlie Miller's life goes from high-rolling perfection to a crypt of sin. All it takes is one night, one blade, and her boyfriend, best friend and new friends all either end up as suspects or dead. 

Nate Westcott, a pierced, tattooed, charismatic lawyer, is a man she can’t have—but a seductive danger she can’t ignore. He’s cocky, infuriating, brilliant and wrong, yet he makes her question whether she really is the good girl she wants to be or more like the selfish killer everyone thinks she is. 

And her body wants him in ways she’s not supposed to crave.

As the weeks close in, cracks start forming in her everyday world of pro football golden boys, law school domination and New York City nightlife. Everyone she cares about is at risk because one of them doesn’t love Charlie back. In fact, they want her out of the way. Disposed of. Set up.

One more step, and all Charlie has to do is fall through. 

Week 1 starts now.

WHO WILL SNAP?

Snapped is Ketley’s New Adult Contemporary series with all the romance you’d expect, but the killer—and lovers—that you don’t.


GOODREADS 
Purchase links: Amazon | KoBo


REVIEW


From the first page of the story, I was hooked and eager to continue flipping the pages of my eARC. It really intrigued me how Charlie Miller ended up in that kind of situation. My reaction upon reading the entire prologue was … “What the freakin’ hell happened here?” The prologue is set in Week 9 and just whoa, what a way to start a story. It has an effect that you know readers will be clamoring for more. Clamoring to know every-freakin’-thing that happened in the story!

I just noticed that Snapped’s synopsis in Goodreads seems to be the synopsis for the entire Snapped Series. Basically, Snapped was just an introduction of the characters, glimpse of how they are as characters and their possible intentions to Charlie. At the beginning of the story (Week 1), we read about Charlie’s and her best friend, Lara’s experience of moving in to New York City and settling in at her boyfriend’s (Jason “Slade” Sladerman) place. She planned to move there because of two things: to be with her boyfriend and to attend law school. Lara was just there to tag along with her and find something exciting that she could possibly do with her life.


In law school, Charlie meets Reagan and the two of them instantly clicked. Reagan helped Charlie catch up with everything she missed during their orientation and that’s when she came to know about the fact that Charlie is Slade’s (NYC football player) girlfriend. Upon knowing that, Reagan starts gushing about it and blurts out that she knows stuff because her brother is actually a huge football fan. Niiiiiice.

We were also given a front row seat to the relationship of Charlie and her now big shot of a football player boyfriend, Slade. They’re such a cute couple and are really making everything work despite their individual aspirations in life. But being in the spotlight? Famous? Oh man, that just comes along with a string of drama and jealousy.

I don’t want to be spoilery in this review because Snapped is just over a hundred of pages, so it’s quite short and there isn’t a lot of stuff that I can freely talk about that wouldn’t be counted as spoilers. So, I’m keeping my mouth zipped about the story and would just comment on some parts that I love and didn’t.

We are treated with a number of flashback sequences, like the first time Slade and Charlie met at a party during their last year in college. Flashbacks are good for a story but with this book, I seem to get lost when it happens. The transition between present and past weren’t that smooth and it comes off as an abrupt move. I also felt that there were unnecessary flashbacks included or could’ve just been narrated instead of every line from that past conversation divulged to us, readers.  

But what I love about Snapped is it makes my mind work overtime while reading it. Knowing the present – week 9 issue, I’m constantly on the lookout for the clues as to why things ended up that way and who are the people involved in that situation. It turned me into a very keen observer. I take note on the things that they do and tend to be too suspicious about it, even the simple gestures and comments that they make. Ha! I actually have doubts and suspicions over all of the characters.

Towards the end of Snapped, Nate (Reagan’s brother) entered the scene and brought in some possible drama to the series. And with his appearance in the story, things started to get real shady already and I got really doubtful about the intention of a character or two. I think I have an idea where this story will go … Oh I have a couple of theories in my head, right now.

Though, I wished that The Snapped series was just written as a single book and not divided into several parts. Things are just getting interesting in the story only to find out that there are no more pages to flip. 

RATING

3.5 stars



Title: SHADE (The Snapped Series, Part 2) 
Author: Ketley Allison
Publication: November 1, 2014

SYNOPSIS 

Famous boyfriend, penthouse on Park Avenue, full scholarship and best friend along for the ride?

Awesome.

A smartass drummer boy, dark obsession and a hint of betrayal? 

Unexpected. 

Murder?

Inevitable.

Charlie Miller’s life in New York City is just getting started.


Purchase links: Amazon | Kobo


REVIEW

Shade is the second installment of The Snapped series. This is the part where things are building up, problems and dramas popping out, trust issues and more and more you question the intention of the people surrounding Charlie. Just like Snapped, Shade is only over a hundred pages and I really can’t divulge much from it because most of the events that happened here are quite big moments of the story.

I’m quite frustrated with Charlie’s character because of some decisions that she made in this installment and how passive she can get. There were instances in the story wherein it’s an opening for her to question things already but then she doesn’t grab it. She always takes what she has been given and leaves things at that. I want her to take charge of the situation instead of being overpowered by it and by the people surrounding her.

Ha! Someone’s really trying to mess up with Charlie and Slade’s relationship. It was that obvious. As to who, I have a guess on who that is. I want to rant about that character here but then it would be really spoilery. Ughhh! I really hate that person! I hope Slade could see that before it’s too late…

Anyways, I’m really excited for the next part – SIN. I.NEED.IT.IN.MY.LIFE.RIGHT.NOW. I need to know what happens next to Charlie, especially with how Shade ended. Cliffhanger. Though, I’m sure that everything will be messier in the next one.

RATING





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll