Sunday, February 23, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: SONG OF THE FIREFLIES by J.A. Redmerski

Song of the FirefliesSong of the Fireflies by J.A. Redmerski
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Ramblings. I read this book way back in January and upon marking it here on Goodreads I said that I’ll probably post my review of it the next day or something … But here I am posting this thing up just now. I took me a month to get back on writing this book review because I really don’t know what to feel about it and yeah maybe until now.

First off, I just want to say that I totally love J.A. Redmerski’s The Edge of Always and Killing Sarai. Though, I still haven’t read the sequels of those series (I need to read those books but ughh there’s so little time) but I can definitely say that she really is an awesome author. Those two series were like from entirely different spectrum and she managed to pull it off. I even gave those books a 5-star rating. So upon seeing Song of the Fireflies available for request on Netgalley, I didn’t have to think twice whether I would request it or not. I was just “Omg that’s a J.A. Redmerski book! I really need to get my hands on that one”. *insert waiting period here* When I got an email from Netgalley and the publisher of this book (Forever) saying that I was being granted an ARC of this book, I was just extremely happy because I got to read it a month away from the release date then ...

My thoughts. I started reading it and I was really hooked with the opening sentence or prolly the first chapter. Then the following chapters rolls in and the whole time I was reading it I was just thinking of putting this book down or if I should continue on with the book. Maybe it’s because that I felt quite frustrated and that I find it very hard to connect with these characters. There was also this point wherein I reached the last few chapters of the book and I was just reading it for the sake of finishing it. *shrugs* and I’m quite sad because I felt that for this book.

Song of the Fireflies is definitely a lot darker than The Edge of Always. I know that it’s not always rainbows and unicorns in our lives and Redmerski clearly depicted that here but I seriously can’t even with the decisions of our main characters (Elias and Bray). I know both of their lives were hugely thrown off with that horrible accident but huff jfc I don’t know where I’m going with this rambling of mine. But I can definitely say that this book got too much drama in it, all kinds of messiness and will certainly make you feel feels that aren't good.

Elias and Bray have been friends since forever but I guess they just know each other (or more on Elias knows Bray) on the surface. Bray’s communication skills towards to other people are non-existent and with Elias she left out this huge and vital part of herself. Thus, creating some unnecessary drama in the book. Elias is purely devoted to Bray, even going along with her and risking his life for her sake. While Bray is also in love with him, she doesn’t think or feel that Elias is enough for her to be able to fight with her inner demons or even in that particular scene where she made THAT certain decision. Aaaah just typing this down is exhausting me, so I’ll prolly get back to this on a later date and try to add some more stuff in this post.

Maybe this particular book wasn't just for me, sooooo. And I would also like to say that I will pretty much read future books from J.A. Redmerski.

Bye x

*I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll