Friday, January 30, 2015

MINI BOOK REVIEWS | DAIMON & HALF-BLOOD by Jennifer Armentrout


Title: DAIMON (Covenant Series #0.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout (Website | Twitter
Publication Date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

SYNOPSIS 

"Love in my world usually ended up with someone hearing 'I smite thee!' as she was cursed to be some lame flower for the rest of her life."For three years, Alexandria has lived among mortals--pretending to be like them and trying to forget the duty she'd been trained to fulfill as a child of a mortal and a demigod. At seventeen, she's pretty much accepted that she's a freak by mortal standards... and that she'll never be prepared for that duty.According to her mother, that's a good thing.But as every descendant of the gods knows, Fate has a way of rearing her ugly head. A horrifying attack forces Alex to flee Miami and try to find her way back to the very place her mother had warned her she should never return-the Covenant. Every step that brings her closer to safety is one more step toward death... because she's being hunted by the very creatures she'd once trained to kill.The daimons have found her.

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | iBooks


... AND THAT'S HOW YOU KICK OFF A SERIES! This book is really good for a prequel. It's showing its angst already and you kind of just know that it'll be a very awesome series. Daimon immediately sucks you in and makes you want to read more from this book series! Jennifer L. Armentrout knows how to do it and go about teasing her readers. Anyways, people are telling me that there are SOME concepts in this book that are quite similar to the Vampire Academy series - and I can already notice that from this book. But that won't stop me from reading the Covenant series. I seriously can't wait to get started in reading Half-Blood! 


RATING



Title: HALF-BLOOD (Covenant Series #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout (Website | Twitter) Publication Date: October 18, 2011

Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

SYNOPSIS 

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.


Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | iBooks


Story. Half-Blood picks up where Daimon left off, just right off the bat it was action and adrenaline rush kicking scenes already. I really love that effect that it had to readers because it totally created a non-boring vibe going on for the book. The book was fast-paced which I totally enjoyed and true to what I stated above, I wasn't bored in any single chapter. The story just keeps getting better and better. It’s full of suspense, action, danger and romance.

It was also very easy to ease in to the Covenant series' world because of the 0.5 novella, Daimon, wherein the world-building elements were already laid out there. It's just a matter of time and our thinking to piece together what'll be the dilemma they'll be working out in the duration of this book. Some parts were really predictable though. But I was still on the edge of my seat and was thinking how and when the characters are going to realize it.

Characters. Alexandria Andros. I may or may not want to strangle you a teeny tiny bit. She's definitely reckless but she knows her purpose and what's driving her to do it.

Aiden St. Delphi. *swoon* The name itself is already *swoon worthy*, what more if you get to know about his character ... Well you might just end up like a puddle of goo on the floor! Aiden is such a strong, serious (but not to serious at times), selfless, loving and much more character. Oh I love him.

Seth. I'm quite excited for the second book because of Seth! He's gonna be much involved now with Alex's training and I'm sure there'll be a new kind of tension with his presence in there. I'm also interested with the Apollyon thing between him and another character.

Alex-Aiden ship. I have this status here on Goodreads that says, "Just 3% in and I'm already having Aiden & Alex feels! *flails*" SDBSNDSDFNS! Their chemistry is just right there from the start (me thinks, that I would want them already to make out during those first bits of the book LOL)! I would just like to say that if I would to choose between Rose-Dimtri or Aiden-Alex ... I would gladly choose Aiden-Alex! I just love their pairing and Aiden's soooo not a boring character. 


VA-ish thing. Well. Prior to reading this book, I've already been warned by my fellow booknerds about some Vampire Academy-ish stuff going on here. Yes, I can't help but notice some similarities but both series are totally different. Wayyyy different. So. If you've heard about this being compared to Vampire Academy, please still take a chance and read this series.


It was a truly awesome and cool reading experience! Ughhh Ms. Armentrout, you did it again!

RATING
More like 4.5 stars




2 comments:

  1. I read this series first, and I've only read the first book in the VA series. I noticed they were kind of similar, but they are different species, so it can't really be all that similar down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes. Plus in Pure, this series is totally breaking away from those similarities we've noticed. The story line has taken its own turn already. :)

      Delete

Blogroll