Friday, August 7, 2015

MINI BOOK REVIEWS | SWEET ADDICTION by J. Daniels and A MILLION MILES AWAY by Lara Avery

Title: SWEET ADDICTION 
Author: J. Daniels
Publication Date: August 2014

SYNPOSIS


Wedding hookups never amount to anything.

Those who partake in this wicked little activity know the rules. Get in. Get laid. Get out. There's no expectation of a relationship. It is what it is.

Dylan Sparks knows the rules. She’s familiar with the protocol. And she engages in the best sex of her life with a complete stranger at her ex-boyfriend’s wedding.

Reese Carroll doesn’t care about the rules. He wants more than just one night with Dylan.

And Dylan finds him too addicting to pass up.

Sweet Addiction is the story of one woman’s struggle to keep things casual, and one man’s desire to never let her go.

Warning: This book contains adult themes. 18+


Purchase links: Amazon | B&N


I do not recommend for you to read this book in a public place. You definitely do not want to embarass yourself, right? I tried it. I opened my Kindle app, read where I left off and laughed because of certain OMG scene and yep, you don't want to know what happened next.

Oh boy, I finished SWEET ADDICTION by J. Daniels a few days ago and wow, it was totally a "fans-myself-oh-so-hot" read with a sprinkle of laugh out loud and squeal-worthy scenes here and there. Looking back to the books that I've recently read, it had actually been a long time since I've read something hilarious and uber sexy at the same time. So it's really a good thing that I came across this book, purchased it off of Kindle and gave this book a try. I had a good time reading it. Damn, where can I find my own Reese Carroll? Dylan's one lucky btch for nabbing him. Aside from Dylan and Reese (who both frustrated me in some parts), another character that stood out for me is Joey! I need a friend in my life who's like Joey. Someone who can make me laugh and who can knock some sense into my head if needed. I swear, Joey's got the best timing and lines in this book!!! I just had a small problem with the drama thrown in it. Most especially towards the end part. I think, I would have liked it more if we could have just avoided the whole "overhearing" fiasco.

I know that there's a sequel to Dylan and Reese's story and I'm planning to read it after I finished the ARC of Bounce by Noelle August. To those who have read the sequel, what can you say about it? How's the drama going on in there? Please share your thoughts. Thank you. :) 

RATING



Title: A MILLION MILES AWAY
Author: Lara Avery
Publication Date: July 7, 2015

SYNOPSIS

Perfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks, this breathtaking story of love and loss is guaranteed to break your heart and sweep you off your feet.

When high school senior Kelsey's identical twin sister, Michelle, dies in a car crash, Kelsey is left without her other half. The only person who doesn't know about the tragedy is Michelle's boyfriend, Peter, recently deployed to Afghanistan. But when Kelsey finally connects with Peter online, she can't bear to tell him the truth. Active duty has taken its toll, and Peter, thinking that Kelsey is Michelle, says that seeing her is the one thing keeping him alive. Caught up in the moment, Kelsey has no choice: She lets Peter believe that she is her sister.

As Kelsey keeps up the act, she crosses the line from pretend to real. Soon, Kelsey can't deny that she's falling, hard, for the one boy she shouldn't want.
 

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N


Wait. I actually don't know what to feel about this book. Uhmmm I guess it was an okay read but ughh I had a hard time grasping/connecting with the characters. Maybe it's because of the characters falling quite flat for me. Their personalities just weren't out there. Though, I fully understand why Kelsey felt the need to pretend to be her sister, Michelle, in the eyes of her sister's boyfriend - Peter. I understand her reasons for doing it. I also did find the interactions between Kelsey and Peter cute. The fact that Peter was recently deployed in Afghanistan hindered for more interactions between them to occur in which made it hard for me to be really on board with this Kelsey-Peter ship. But as I've said earlier, they were cute. 

I expected for it to be an emotion-packed book considering the story line revolves around death, grief, guilt (and more). But it ended up lacking the thrill and the punch in the gut feel that I knew I would have loved and I knew that will definitely work in favor of this book. 

I liked that particular moment towards the ending wherein Kelsey and her mother talked about their feelings. I know I would have appreciated that scene more if it was given more time to settle in (and yep, more feelings laid out for the readers). In my opinion, it was rushed and add the fact that the chapters were too short. 

Though, I liked the ending. It was fitting. It was something that both Peter and Kelsey needed to do in order to move forward. An okay read. 

I'll probably come back to this post once I've already gathered all my thoughts about A Million Miles Away.


RATING




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll