Friday, August 7, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | WHEN I'M GONE by Abbi Glines

Title: WHEN I'M GONE 
Author: Abbi Glines (Website | Twitter)
Publication Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

SYNOPSIS 


From #1 New York Times bestselling author Abbi Glines comes the next new adult novel in the Rosemary Beach series, in which we meet Mase, a Texas heartthrob first introduced in Take a Chance who comes to Rosemary Beach to stir things up.

I had an urge to fix all her problems. Which was stupid. She was doing fine without me. But something about those big eyes…

Mase Colt-Manning has always preferred his humble life as a Texas rancher to his birthright as the son of a legendary rock star. In fact, he rarely visits his father’s rarefied world in Rosemary Beach, especially if it means bunking at his vile half-sister Nan’s house—until one visit leads to a chance encounter with a young, gorgeous house maid who awakens him with her off-key but spirited imitation of a country music star…

Reese Ellis finally has her freedom. After escaping a lifetime of abuse from her parents and classmates for an undiagnosed learning disorder, she seizes the opportunity to be a house maid to some of the richest families in Rosemary Beach. But her job is in jeopardy when she causes an accident at the home of her most important client, Nan Dillon. When a hot, half-naked stranger with a cowboy’s swagger comes to her rescue, she’s intrigued—then afraid once he shows his own interest. Reese has never met a trustworthy man in her life. Will Mase be any different?


Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | iBooks 




I don't care if there were parts in When I'm Gone that were predictable because I just love (love, love, love) Reese and Mase together, the Rosemary Beach series and the other characters in it. It is nice to go back from time to time to a setting/world that I love, seeing the other characters from the previous books interacting and knowing what there life is now after their particular books have ended. If I have to compare it to the Sea Breeze series, I have to say that the story lines and characters in RB series are more complicated and has more depth than SB. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy my time reading books from SB series and that I don't care about the characters because I genuinely did have fun and I do care about them. It's just that for me, RB series digs deeper into the characters and character-related conflicts than SB. 

Here in When I'm Gone, we are introduced to Reese Ellis who has a whole lot of complications happening with her character. She has a case of untreated dyslexia and a dark past which involves her family. Her problem isn't fully resolved here but we see her dealing with it and witness her easing herself away from the cloud of darkness that seems to always come along with her. Knowing about her situation, it is always a joy to see her happy and being excited about the things (even the small ones) that are happening to her. She really deserves happiness in her life. But then, Glines managed to throw in another curve ball. Oh god, the sequel will surely be a roller coaster ride for her character. It feels like she'll be completely thrown off with this very huge development in her life and I don't know how she'll react on this. It could go two ways. I don't know. I guess, I have to read the next book to find out.

Thrown off or not, one thing is for sure: SHE'LL ALWAYS HAVE MASE COLT-MANNING BY HER SIDE. We have been introduced to Mase for a couple of books already and now it's time for us to read more about his character. We have seen Mase being so caring, loving, protective and so much more towards Harlow but nothing can be compared and nothing will beat with how he is towards Reese. He is all of that to Reese multiplied to hundreds or thousands more. The two traits of Mase that stood out in this story is on how understanding and patient he is and it was tested in this book several times. The end result, you'll just be over and over again swooning over Mase for being oh so perfect to Reese. He also does and says that right things (even the dirty ones) to her and the simplest of it all, he makes Reese so happy. She is definitely a lucky girl to catch Mase. 

NAN, YOU LITTLE BTCH! It's not a Rosemary Beach book if Nan isn't mentioned or if she doesn't make an appearance. An appearance that will make you want to tear your hair off of your head. Oh jeebus, she really just have to mess things up for others and for herself. Ughhh. But that short exchange she had with Mase really got to me. She's one misguided character. I pity her.

Hi Harlow, Grant, Blaire, Rush and others who did cameo stuff in here! 

All in all, I had a great time reading it and just like any other Abbi Glines book, my emotions were out there. I got teary eyed in a few parts. Especially the ones with Mase's mother, Maryann. THIS IS ISN'T A STANDALONE. This is a part of a DUOLOGY. I think, you'll enjoy and appreciate this story more if you read the other books of the Rosemary Beach series. Though, it isn't a necessity to read the others to understand what happens in this book.



RATING





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll