Monday, April 6, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | FISHER’S LIGHT by Tara Sivec

Title: FISHER'S LIGHT
Author: Tara Sivec (Website | Twitter)
Publication Date: March 24, 2015

SYNOPSIS 

Fisher,
I guess this is it, huh? After fourteen years together, starting a life of our own on this island, five deployments and countless letters I’ve written you through it all, I finally go out to the mailbox and see something I’ve always dreamed of: an envelope with your handwriting on it. For one moment, I actually thought you’d changed your mind, that all the awful things you said to me were just your way of coping after everything you’d been through. I was still here, Fisher. I was still here, holding my breath, waiting for you to come back even though you told me you never would. You always said you’d find your way back to me. Out of all the lies you’ve told me, this one hurts the most. 

Enclosed you will find the signed divorce papers, as requested. 
I hope you find what you’re looking for. I’m sorry it wasn’t me.
Lucy

To get the ending they want, Lucy and Fisher will have to go back to the beginning. Through the good and the bad, they’ll be reminded of why they always made their way back to each other, and why this time, one way or another, it will be the last time. 

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | iBooks 



Seduction and Snacks (S&S) from The Chocolate Lovers series is the first book that I’ve read written by Tara Sivec and I can perfectly remember that it’s way way different from Fisher’s Light. I’m actually surprised that both books were written by the same author. S&S and Fisher’s Light pretty much comes from the opposite sides of the spectrum. S&S was a very light and entertaining book that I’ve read two years ago when I needed a material that could lift my spirits up and pull me out of my reading funk. It also served as a breather for me from the heavy drama type of books that I was so into reading. Then we have Fisher's Light, as  it turns out it's an emotionally gripping tale of a couple who’s trying to find their way back in each other’s arms after all the heartaches life and in loving someone so much has given them. I consider this book as a proof that Tara Sivec truly does have a gift in writing and telling a story. I’m in awe with her and in how she wrote this book.


Fisher’s Light could possibly be the most realistic post-war story that I’ve ever read. I know there are books out there that embark upon this particular dilemma too but out of all the war stories that I’ve read, this book just stands out. The story revolves around high school sweethearts, Lucy and Fisher, who stayed married for a couple of years despite Fisher constantly volunteering and wanting to be deployed and get back into the warzone. They never imagined that this warzone will change the course of their lives and how they are as an individual.


My initial thought was that Fisher’s Light could possibly end up just being one of those books that has a clichéd conflict of “pushing away somebody when you feel like you’re living in a hellhole and you don’t want them witnessing and suffering alongside you” and am preparing to roll my eyes at that. I thought the story will heavily rely on the push and pull between the relationships of the characters but considered me very surprised and elated that the book isn’t just about that and Sivec’s execution of the entire novel was neatly and greatly done.

Tara Sivec really went down to the core of the story and offered us the nitty-gritty details and thoughts of a soldier who experienced so many things in the battleground. The nightmares, horrific and clouded thoughts and even hallucinations of what happened in the field were all laid out in the book and how those things can seriously affect and fuck up one’s mind. Sivec takes her readers on an emotional journey when she decided to write the book from both Lucy and Fisher’s point of views in the past and present. We are given the privilege to get to know their characters better and to read a depth narration of the other side of the story.

How Sivec relayed to us and translated Fisher’s thoughts and reasons as to why he pushed Lucy away really struck me. (That’s something you should look forward to when you read this book.) It makes everything seem real and for Fisher’s struggles to feel so authentic to her readers. I saw where he was coming from and understood him more through that. I feel for him. Knowing that and at the same time knowing about Lucy’s own thoughts, makes me ache for both of their characters. Their struggles were so real and palpable.

The plot and how Lucy and Fisher’s story was told couldn’t have gone any other way. There are moments when you read a book and sometimes you end up coming with other scenes and decisions that characters should’ve done but with this one, nope. There was no better way for this wonderful story to be written. The book was what it was supposed to be already – perfect.

This book is definitely bringing it when it comes to the character development department. With only a year apart, readers can really see the growth that Lucy and Fisher went through. It was beautiful to witness and it’ll make you admire both of them more.  Tara Sivec also knows how to deal with her minor characters. Trip, Bobby, Ellie, the parents and even Stanford were great and each of their character story lines were something that you’ll be eager to know and follow through. They weren’t just used to move the plot along but all of them held essential parts in the story and to Fisher’s and Lucy’s life and relationship. Sometimes they were the conflict or the ones causing conflict but in the end you’ll see that these minor characters were also given by Sivec room to grow.

Fisher’s Light definitely belongs to my March 2015 favourite and highly recommended reads. It is a wonderful story about second chances, reconciliation and so much about life and love. In life and in love, there will be an endless stream of bumps on the road that we will encounter and it’s fully up to us on how we’ll overcome it. We can either stay contented with what we have now yet feeling unfulfilled or we can face it head on and claim what we think we deserve and will make us happy.

To those who are or know someone who is suffering the same condition as Fisher, if it gets too dark - stay strong and never hesitate to ask for someone’s help. I’m sure your loved ones care deeply for you and will be there for you to help you go through this. I’ll leave you now with one of my favourite quotes coming from Fisher’s Light:

“To get to the good, sometimes you have to live through the bad.”


RATING



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll