Sunday, February 22, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | UNEXPECTED FATE by Harper Sloan


Title: UNEXPECTED FATE (Hope Town #1) 
Author: Harper Sloan (Website | Twitter
Publication Date: February 17, 2015

SYNOPSIS 


Have you ever felt like you were living your life for a future that was predetermined? Like there was some bigger picture you just prayed you would someday see clearly? That picture has been crystal clear to me since I was old enough to recognize it for just what it was.


Or I should say recognize him for who he was.


I’ve loved Cohen Cage since I was a small child. He’s been my everything for the last twenty-two years. I’ve loved him through every girlfriend he’s ever brought home. Through his college years and then mine. I’ve loved him through two deployments. And ever since the day I told him how I felt, he’s acted like I’m a stranger.


My name is Danielle Reid, and it’s time for me to get my man. 


Our future is an unexpected fate, and no matter what our parents, siblings, and friends say…it’s going to be worth every second of the fight to make it happen.

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N



Okay. Before I start gushing in about Unexpected Fate, I have something to admit here first. I actually haven’t read the entire Corps Security series.  Since I’ve only started reading that series during the last few days of January, I wasn’t able to finish it in time for this book’s release date. The good thing here is that the books that I’ve read are Axel and Cage. So going on to reading Unexpected Fate, I at least have the basic knowledge of how their stories went and the happenings inside their crew. I can promise you, guys that I will still read the rest of the books coming from that series! I cannot stop from there and not know how the stories of the other guys went. In doing so, I’ll be able to gear myself for the rest of the books in Hope Town series too.

I love it when I’m super teased and excited about a certain book and that when I’m finally able to read it, the book matches with my expectations and perfectly got the mix of feels that I was looking for. This book was just that. Unexpected Fate was the sole reason why it got me into reading the Corps Security series. Yes, I’ve been meaning to read CS series for quite some time now but it has always been there at the back of the other books on my TBR list. But then when I spotted UF, learned about its synopsis and who the characters involved are, I immediately got started with CS. When I finally read Cage and met Cohen, then and there I knew that I’m going to love this man. He stole my heart. All it took was a cape and his kiddie questions. At that point, I’m just so excited to read Unexpected Fate already and know about Cohen’s story.

Unexpected Fate is the first book of Hope Town series. It’s a spin-off series that will be focusing on the off-springs of the hot mommas and daddies from Corps Security series. UF follows through the story of Axel and Izzy’s daughter, Danielle Reid, and Greg and Melissa’s son, Cohen Cage. Dani has forever been in love with Cohen, always having that moon-eyed gaze directed towards him. Cohen knows about Dani’s feelings but never acted upon it because of their four year age gap (he thinks it’s inappropriate), their families (Oh joy, the chaos that could possibly ensue…) and lastly is of how unpredictable and tough his life is. Especially, there’s that looming deployment. Cohen feels that Dani deserves so much better than just being tangled along with him so he tried his best to keep his feelings for her at bay.

Key word: Tried.

How do you think Dani and Cohen will work their way to be together? To what extent are they willing to do and sacrifice just to be together? If this feels like your cup of tea, then you better check this book.

Cohen and Dani’s relationship is basically a puppy love which ultimately grew alongside with them and turned into a powerful and withstanding kind of love. I had no qualms about the time frame and how fast things seem to progress between them because at the back of my mind, everything, every single thing of what’s happening has definitely been a long time coming. It was just a matter of how their love story will unfold and turn into their beautiful reality.

Unexpected Fate was able to evade one of the clichéd pitfalls that I thought it could get having such a synopsis. It turns out to be a breath of fresh air, well for me. I thought UF would be a book wherein we would constantly see these characters tear each other apart and do that push-pull-and-I’m-running-away from you drama rama for the entirety of the book. In some ways the book could’ve fell through that hole but then Harper Sloan turned it around. Taking in the book as a whole, I’m glad that the storyline only involved that drama in the beginning of Cohen and Dani’s relationship and then after that the book took its own course.

Cohen Cage, the little boy we’ve met in Cage’s story, grew up to be a very dirty and naughty man. I should have taken the dedication part of this book seriously. Dayum. He definitely exceeded the level of hotness and dirtiness that Cage had. You dirty man. The things that come out of his mouth will certainly make you blush and get you hot and bothered. Good thing, I read this book inside my room or else, yikes I don’t want to even think about reading it in public. I’m probably fanning myself or cringing. There were a couple of scenes that where too dirty and graphic for my taste. I tell you, Axel-Izzy and Greg-Meli got nothing on the adventures that Cohen and Dani did in this book! If you dig uber smexy scenes, then you’ll love this book.

Aside from that smexiness talk, Cohen Cage is exactly what I’ve expected him to be. He was just like Greg – controlling, Alpha and would do everything he can do to protect the woman he loves. Sometimes his and Dani’s lines get too cheesy, though. I cringe. But I have to give it to Cohen. He is oozing of confidence too because, well how would he come out alive if he’s about face the bear of man father of Dani? I love that part in the book. He took everything in a stride and managed to impress Dani’s parents and mostly importantly, his parents.

Dani Reid’s character quite fell flat and lacking with personality for me. There were moments when she’ll be showing strength and be playful but most of the time she comes back to her own bubble. I was also hoping that Dani will show such maturity too since she’s facing all kinds of situation that she needs to be mature but it was fairly non-existent. Though, I really admire her being able to stick up and deal with Axel. Thinking of having a father like Axel is making my head spin already. But, Axel is hilarious as a father. By just reading the prologue, I was already sold to this book and Harper Sloan already got a huge laugh out of me. I’ve always known that he’ll turn into that but reading the things that he’s doing, oh boy! He’s 1000 times overbearing and overprotective of Dani since she’s his little princess. Everything that he does and how he reacts is over the top but at the core of it you know where his heart is and where he’s coming from. I certainly enjoyed every single moment that Axel, Izzy, Greg and Melissa appeared in this book and being the great parents that they are.

I don’t know about you, but I think there was so much time in the book that was wasted because of that deployment. Yes, there were calls and I was super thrilled to know that Cohen’s trying his best to check in on Dani. The calls also showed how serious and all in Cohen is. But damn, it felt like everything was cut short. I hope there will a novella for Cohen and Dani. Be greedy as it may but I really want more of them. Just thinking what could have happened in the book if that deployment wasn’t part of the story, makes my heart hurt. I’m sure I would’ve enjoyed that. Though, one of the things that I love how Harper Sloan writes is because of how she’s able to pour in these emotions in the pages of her book and then be able to feel how it’s really clawing in on you. She managed to deliver that, especially when these two were apart. I felt everything – happiness, longing, desperation and helplessness.

Wait, what’s up with these freaky stalkers around these ladies and Hope Town? I know that the jobs of these hot dudes of Corps Security deals with le duh, security and of being safe, but so help me God. Unexpected Fate felt like a cross of Izzy and Greg’s story. Please tell me you also felt that way. But hell, I would be lying if I didn’t say that I enjoyed this book! Because I really did! I just hope that the other books of this series won’t be too much of a cross between the books of CS series.

No matter what happens I’ll probably read the rest of this series, though. The reason is that I get super invested in every single book or series that I love. Plus, next generation stories are my thing. I love the fact that it also serves as a way of knowing and updating the readers of what happened to these characters that we’ve gotten attached with and come to love in the previous series. I may not have read Beck, Cooper and Locke’s story in CS series yet but I became really invested in their entire group and in those short moments that they’ve appeared in Axel and Cage’s story. And I want to read how these three will go-all Alpha mode to their kids!

Speaking of the kids, we’ve met several of them here and I’m coming up with crazy theories about what possible storylines will be for each of them. I need to stop or else I won’t be able to get into reading other books. Chance, Lyndsie, Lila, Maddie, Ember, Nate and Liam – I want all of them to have stories!

Overall, I had a nice and fun reading experience with Unexpected Fate. It was very nice to revisit the setting, the CS crew and now be introduced to this new generation. With that thought, it makes me very giddy about the future of Hope Town series and to read every single book Harper Sloan writes in connection with this.

“It was unexpected, baby, but it was fate. It’s our unexpected fate.”


RATING




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll