Friday, February 27, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | LOVE UNSCRIPTED by Tina Reber

Title: LOVE UNSCRIPTED (Love #1)
Author: Tina Reber (Website | Twitter)
Publication Date: March 6, 2010

SYNOPSIS 


An A-List Movie Star. . . 
Ryan Christensen just wanted to be an actor. Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine a life where fans would chase him, paparazzi would stalk him, and Hollywood studios would want to own him. While filming in Seaport, Rhode Island, Ryan ducks into a neighborhood bar for a quick escape from legions of screaming fans . . . and finds much more than he expected.

A Small-Town Girl. . . 
Nursing a recent heartbreak, Taryn Mitchell believes men are best kept at a safe distance. But when Ryan Christensen unexpectedly bursts through the front door of her pub, she can’t help but be drawn in by his humor, charm, and undeniable good looks. At six foot two, with dirty blond hair, blue eyes, and an incredible body, Ryan has every girl in Seaport swooning. But Taryn isn’t every other girl.

A Relationship That Doesn’t Follow the Script. . . 
Despite her better judgment, Taryn soon finds herself falling hard for Ryan. But is their bond strong enough to survive the tabloid headlines, the relentless paparazzi, and the jealous fans who seem determined to tear them apart? 

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | iBooks 



Originally posted on Goodreads
Dated: November 14, 2013

With no WiFi connection in our house for a number of days already, thank God for books and music for keeping me company. I actually have loads of books (Young Adult series to New Adult ones) to choose from but I fancied reading light and romance-y reads for now. And Tina Reber’s Love Series captured my attention. Come on, who would actually pass up to read this thing – an actor falling in love with a girl who’s pretty much a non-fan of his? I don’t know about you but in my case, I wouldn’t pass this thing up.

Story. Love Unscripted’s story opens with a scene in the Mitchell’s pub which is owned by Taryn Mitchell, our main character, Marie and some customers having a conversation (some squealing from Marie involved) about the commotion on the movie set of Seaside being reported on the television. The movie was currently being shot in their area. Apparently, Seaside movie stars Ryan Christensen, a very hot and popular actor, and has a really huge following among the ladies of all ages. Then it follows through with Taryn’s internal conversation about how ladies swoon over him, except her and how it wasn’t in her personality to hang pictures of teen heartthrobs on her walls. She’s totally the complete opposite of being a hardcore fan. Complete opposite of Marie (Taryn’s best friend) is a die-hard of this book to movie franchise, watched the first instalment of the movie countless times already and possibly knows about the juiciest gossips that surround the casts.

The following day just seems to be another ordinary day for Taryn and her pub, she woke up quite early and intended to do stuff that concerns her pub. But, hold up! There’s quite an interesting twist for her day. As soon as she opened the door of her pub … she heard screams from somewhat numerous fangirls and that’s when she noticed that THE Ryan Christensen is running towards her – her pub, to take cover from the screaming girls. Mr. Ryan Christensen, what an entrance to Taryn Mitchell’s life! That day marked the start of their friendship. 

Ryan frequented Mitchell’s pub causing Taryn’s business to soar but the downside is that it’s now being swarmed with squealing fangirls and annoying paparazzi. Amidst everything that is happening around them, Ryan and Taryn maintained their friendship. Taryn even set them up with a weekend stay in their family’s cabin. She was really eager to at least give Ryan a sense of normalcy. Oh come on, I know that readers can already predict where the story is going … Yes, Ryan and Taryn ended up being a couple not even 50% of the book. 

But now, the question is what happens after that? Is Taryn ready for the consequences of this life altering move that she did? Will their being together cause uproar among the crazed fans of Ryan? What will the fans do? Will some of Ryan’s mad on the head fans cause them harm? How will the media react to this? What could be the possible lies that the media stir along the way? Can Taryn handle the lies the media reports? How will Ryan’s co-stars and past girlfriends/hook-ups react to this? Will parts of their past hunt them and cause their relationship to falter? Will they be able to trust each other throughout this life journey they’re embarking on? Can their love for each other withstand everything that’ll be thrown in their way? 

This sure is not a very conventional and easy relationship. 

Overall. Wow. Love Unscripted is rather lengthy. It has definitely loads of ups and downs in its story. It’s nice to read a story with this premise – an actor and a normal gal ending up together. I’ll gladly sleep now for this thing to happen to me. Surely Hollywood and local actors experience this kind of thing, makes it part of reality. I’m trying to juggle my mind with actors who fit in this type of situation. Hmm. 

Anyways, I like that the author didn’t prolong how Ryan and Taryn got together as a couple because it will just end up as a “meh” to me. I’ll prolly say “Girl, cut the chase. I’m sure that you’ll just end up with that popular dude”. But with Love Unscripted it focused more on the consequences of them being a couple - the pros and cons that comes from having a relationship with a popular dude from Hollywood. As the story progresses, it felt like an endless string of different kinds of drama but then I really like how those elements were incorporated and dealt with in the story. 

Love Unscripted was certainly an emotion-filled book. It will make readers feel happy, elated, scared, annoyed, totally pissed off and loads of other emotions. It will also make readers daydream about themselves being in Taryn’s shoes. If you were in her shoes, what will you do? How will you react and cope with the changes that are bound to happen in your life? If you like the ordeal of the story, then go try to read this one. 

I’m sure if I’m living in Tina Reber’s Love Series world, I’ll be like Marie. Jumping up and down over Ryan and armed with my extensive knowledge about the Seaside books and movie details. Just the typical fan. 

Fangirls. With this generation, this element of the story is very relatable. I’m pretty sure most of the Hollywood actors have had their fair share of experience with these scary situations in the hands of their fans. It makes me feel sorry for those Hollywood celebrities who are constantly experiencing this kind of frenzy. It makes me sick. They’re terrifying, stealthy and delusional fangirls, who go way overboard from a normal fangirl to the extent that they’re now considered as a threat to these celebrities. I can’t afford to chase my idols like that and make them fear for their own lives. It’s just too much. 

Most of the people know me as a huge fangirl. Some people are even calling me “Queen of Fandoms” because of me being attached to loads of fandoms about books, movies, actors and music artists. I admit it that fangirling comes naturally to me. I do the squeals in front of the television, jumping around the house, surfing the internet and keep tabs about them, do the smashing-the-keyboard typing when I can’t control my feels, buying merchandise and other ways how fangirls express their feels. 

Ha! But I can’t even afford to scream in front of them. Maybe if they’re on a stage and I’m rather far from them, Sure I can scream my lungs out. But totes not in front of them. And I’ve already proven that when I was lucky enough to see Taylor Lautner in person. That was totally a monumental experience for me as a fangirl. It’s freakin’ Taylor Lautner, Jacob Black from THE Twilight Saga! I was just rendered speechless and had a “shyness” attack. So it really is weird for me, how other people manage to cry, pass out or squeal in front of them. Oh well, levels of fangirling.

Tabloid/Gossip Sites. Time and time again have proven that tabloid and gossip sites produces BS stories. I can surely attest to that because of my years being in a certain fandom who knows the ins and outs of it and these tabloids just crafts their BS stories to create hits in their sites and most importantly to earn money. “He broke up with her.” “They got together again.” Stop please. I’ll only believe your stories if you have a video statement of them truly saying that. Those are just words. Words that the writers wrote, and most probably the general public will eat it up. But never these fans who care for this people involved in those articles. So yeah, ever since that “thing” happened in one of my fandom’s I’ve started to doubt and have this aversion towards gossip sites.

Book Two. Love Unscripted feels like a standalone book and pretty much ended in a happy note. So, I’m really curious as to what will be Ryan and Taryn’s dilemma in Love Unrehearsed. I can’t wait to get started with this next book … Less drama please. 


RATING
4.5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll