Monday, October 27, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | BURYING WATER by K.A. Tucker

Title: BURYING WATER (Burying Water #1) 
Author: K.A. Tucker (Website | Twitter)
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: October 7, 2014

SYNOPSIS

The top-selling, beloved indie author of Ten Tiny Breaths returns with a new romance about a young woman who loses her memory—and the man who knows that the only way to protect her is to stay away.

Left for dead in the fields of rural Oregon, a young woman defies all odds and survives—but she awakens with no idea who she is, or what happened to her. Refusing to answer to “Jane Doe” for another day, the woman renames herself “Water” for the tiny, hidden marking on her body—the only clue to her past. Taken in by old Ginny Fitzgerald, a crotchety but kind lady living on a nearby horse farm, Water slowly begins building a new life. But as she attempts to piece together the fleeting slivers of her memory, more questions emerge: Who is the next-door neighbor, quietly toiling under the hood of his Barracuda? Why won’t Ginny let him step foot on her property? And why does Water feel she recognizes him?


Twenty-four-year-old Jesse Welles doesn’t know how long it will be before Water gets her memory back. For her sake, Jesse hopes the answer is never. He knows that she’ll stay so much safer—and happier—that way. And that’s why, as hard as it is, he needs to keep his distance. Because getting too close could flood her with realities better left buried.



The trouble is, water always seems to find its way to the surface




“young woman who loses her memory—and the man who knows that the only way to protect her is to stay away. Upon seeing that line from the blurb of the book, I immediately wanted to know everything about it. What happened before she lost her memory? What triggered that loss? How are they connected to each other? Why would the man think that? And other questions were just swirling in my mind even before I started reading it.

Burying Water is definitely a huge change for K.A. Tucker since it’s darker and deals with mature issues than the other two books I’ve read from her Ten Tiny Breaths Series. That change didn’t disappoint me because I really think that this book is her best, by far. The storyline was unique and her execution for this book was just superb. She really blew my mind with this one.


I know at the back of my mind that Burying Water would be emotional but I wasn’t prepared for the level of how it’s going to be emotional, the twists and turns this story has. This book is actually packed with everything. There’s romance, angst, suspense and heartfelt moments with family. And you’ll completely feel everything that’s coursing through these characters while reading it.

Everything about this book was just so intriguing and as reader, you’ll just be eager to flip from page to page of the book. This book is written from dual POVs and in two different time frames. Water’s POV is written in the present time while Jesse’s is written in the past, just a couple of months back where Water’s POV started. It kind of reminds be with Colleen Hoover’s Ugly Love but *shrugs*, it really worked with how Burying Water needs to be effectively told. It feels like you’re trying to solve a very mysterious and meticulously laid out puzzle while reading this book. You’re waiting for that moment where the past and present will meet and you’re anticipating for the result of that moment. That kind of writing style just builds up the suspense and the vibe needed with a book having this kind of premise.

The premise of the story, WAIT WHOA, I didn’t imagine that it would veer in that direction. It definitely surprised the hell out of me. There were moments, where I was like “Oh shit, I think this is what triggered that accident and the memory loss.” and I’m feeling confident about that theory already. But then, Tucker just swoops in and stumps my theory. Well done, you’ve done great with cloaking it in till almost the end of the book.

Though, I really have this concern towards the “antagonist” of the story. That part seems like rushed. I know, he deserved what happened to him but then it was just fast paced. I was really looking for that moment wherein my pent up anger towards him will be resolved in a one big BAMMMM and “in your face” moment but then it wasn’t there. Well, that’s just me and it didn’t make me love this book any less.

Burying Water is a book that teaches us about being resilient in every aspect of our lives. There will always be obstacles that would be thrown in our way but if we find it in ourselves to be resilient, I’m sure we’ll always get to the end point and claim our success. It’s also about how far you’ll go once you love someone. You take the risk, yes. You make hard decisions, yes. But in the end, it’ll be worth it. For love will always find its way and it’ll prevail. This book completely left a mark in my heart and for that I’ll probably remember it forever.

I *hands down* definitely recommend this book to you, guys! K.A. Tucker will surely surprise with this one. The synopsis that you’ve read doesn’t give away the important parts and elements of the book so be sure to have tissues in your hands and hold on to your seats when you start reading this one.

“The mind, it can be a deceitful thing. But it is no match for the heart.”

For those who’ve read Burying Water already: Have you listened to Taylor Swift’s Out of the Woods? That song is really giving me BURYING WATER FEELS! My goodness!  Remembering some of the scenes of the book while listening to that song just gives me the chills and makes me teary eyed. It’s probably because of the vibe of the song and some of its lines really speak about Burying Water, for me. Try to listen to it and tell me if it does give you Burying Water FEELS too!

"Are we out of the woods? Are we in the clear yet?"


RATING










PS. I’ll probably revisit and edit this post in the future. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll